Firespring offers creative technology solutions and marketing tools to nonprofits and small businesses. Jay Wilkinson, CEO & Founder, was the presenter and shared more information than I can absorb during a 90 minute webinar, so it was a nice surprise to get an email this morning with the presentation and recording. Thank you Jay!
Here are some key points:
1. Only two simple steps to social media - Listen and Engage.
2. Consider yourself a Thought Leader. Be the established expert, inspire action and make social media a commitment, not a campaign. You are in it for the long-term.
3. Make sure you have at least 3 admins for your sites, because one day, the person you designated may really get run over by a bus.
4. "Don't build your home on rented land." Referring to FB specifically. You never know when these sites will change or go away. Build your website as your brand's foundation.
5. Five main points to building your social media presence:
- Be consistent. Create a calendar of postings. No less than 5x/week.
- 80% of your content should be about the mission of the organization and its constituents.
- Decide what voice you are going to use to represent your brand.
- Engage and create engagement.
- Be transparent. Be open to comments and reply to ALL feedback (positive & negative).
7. And I really liked this advice - only spend 5 min. a day checking on social media. Spend about 30 min. a week setting up your posts using an engagement tool like Buffer.com
Hope there is a tip or two you can use as you master the jungle of social media!
Happy tweeting, following, and posting!